Mission & Philosophy
The Pittsburgh New Church School and its Multi-Sensory Institute (MSI) strive to provide students in grades K through 6, including those with language-based learning difficulties, with the spiritual and educational foundation to create confident, caring, and useful citizens. This is accomplished through the integration of Bible-based principles, experiential learning, and multi-sensory teaching.
PNCS and the MSI strive to create a love of learning, critical thinking, and habits of kindness, while emphasizing service to others. For students with dyslexia, the MSI at PNCS creates a friendly learning environment based on research-proven, multi-sensory teaching techniques, such as the Orton-Gillingham approach.
We educate the whole student, both in mind and body. Our philosophy is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ as given in the Old and New Testaments and the deeper meanings in the Bible.
We believe all students thrive in a learning environment which offers multi-sensory and experiential learning. Small learning groups provide an environment where students experience not only academic success, but social growth and development.
Sphere of Innocence
One key focus during the school day is learning the stories of the Bible. This creates a sphere of kindness and service to others throughout the school year, which fosters a sphere of innocence. This, more than anything else, is what PNCS/MSI parents say contributes to the well-being and positive academic environment their students experience as they go through the school day.
When these principles and values are taught and practiced not only at PNCS/MSI, but at home, the students receive a consistent spiritual foundation which serves them in every area of life.
Our Christian Perspective
PNCS is sponsored and supported by the members of the Pittsburgh New Church, which is part of a worldwide Christian church known as The New Church. Although many of our students are children of church members, enrollment in the school is not limited to members. We are open to students of all parents who are affirmative to our distinctive educational approach.
Our church’s teachings offer a clear and uplifting message of hope. Our theological orientation, which is based on the Bible and the writings of Emanuel Swedenborg, emphasizes personal and progressive spiritual growth. We honor childhood innocence and do everything we can to help children develop a foundation for adult conscience.
The following general teachings distinguish our church from other Christian faiths:
- Our Lord Jesus Christ is the one loving God. He is never angry and never gives up on us.
- The Bible is God speaking to us through literal stories, parables and a deeper spiritual meaning.
- Useful service from good will brings faith to life. It is the very heart of heavenly happiness.
- Spiritual freedom is a gift. God endows us with the capacity to choose our eternal destiny.
- Salvation is progressive, a gradual lifting up of our spirit by the Lord as we grow in love, faith and useful service.
- Marriage love between a husband and wife is a blessing God longs for us to enjoy. In His care, we can find and strengthen this precious love to eternity.
- Life after death is real. Everyone continues life’s journey right away as a complete person.
- Heaven is for all people who become angels by living according to God’s commandments.
These teachings are woven into the fabric of the school’s curriculum and program, providing a breadth, depth and meaning to our students’ elementary education experience.